The Peak District has an enormous range of cultural experiences on offer: music venues, theatres and museums to visit, along with centres for arts, crafts, antiques, and so much more.
The Peak District boasts many magnificent stately homes, several of which have been used as film locations. Chatsworth House, the real home of Georgiana, 5th Duchess of Devonshire, was used recently in the filming of The Duchess starring Keira Knightley. Five rooms at Kedleston Hall were also used and several costumes from the film are on display there.
Haddon Hall, a medieval manor house has been used in the filming of The Other Boleyn Girl, Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth and Jane Eyre.
Sudbury Hall with its museum of childhood was used in the filming of the TV series Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice.
The grit stone crags of Stanage Edge have been used for many famous scenes including the iconic view of Keira Knightly looking into the distance in Pride and Prejudice.
The long running TV drama, Peak Practice was filmed in many places including Crich, Ashover and Longnor.
Stately homes and gardens
For those interested in grand houses, there are a number of stately homes to visit such as Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall and Eyam Hall, all of which are close to Candlelight Cottage and offer a range of special cultural events throughout the year. All have beautiful gardens and good places to eat.
Annual events at Chatsworth include horse trials, a country fair, an outdoor sculpture exhibition, outdoor concerts, bonfire night celebration and extensive Christmas festivities.
In addition to the fantastic gardens at these stately homes, gardening enthusiasts will enjoy Biddulph Grange Garden, Dunge Valley Hidden Gardens and Lea Gardens, all within easy reach of Candlelight Cottage.
Art and music festivals
During July, Buxton hosts the now world famous Buxton Festival which attracts many well known figures from the musical and literary world. Alongside the main festival is Buxton Festival Fringe offering a variety of arts and entertainment including theatre, music, film, exhibitions, poetry, comedy, jazz, children’s events and street entertainment. The rest of the year offers a whole host of other artistic events.
The Pavilion Gardens, Buxton host a wide range of fairs and events throughout the year including dances, book fairs, antique fairs, live music in the bandstand and much more besides.
For up to date events see:
- Visit Buxton
- Buxton Festival
- Buxton Opera House
- The Ashbourne Festival
- Arts Derbyshire
- Bakewell Show
Theatres, concert venues and cinemas
The theatres, concert venues and cinemas in Sheffield, Manchester, Derby, Nottingham and Chesterfield are all within easy reach of Litton.
- Sheffield City Hall – Events
- Sheffield Theatres
- Buxton Opera House
- Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
- Chesterfield Theatres
- Derby Theatres
- Nottingham Theatres
The tradition of well dressing goes back to ancient times and began as a creative way to give thanks for clean water. The custom is almost unique to the area and takes place in over 70 villages between May and September.
Springs and wells are decorated with beautiful pictures made entirely from flower petals, moss, berries, leaves and seeds pressed into a bed of soft clay. These pictures often depict natural, historical or biblical scenes and are made by teams of volunteers from each village. Several villages like Litton, also have a children’s well. Well dressing week or Wakes Week is often combined with a village carnival, maypole dancing and a procession of floats.
For full details and dates of well dressings in Derbyshire see welldressing.com.
- There are countless visitor attractions in the area - Derbyshire and the Peak District; far too many to mention here. At Candlelight Cottage we provide organised folders full of leaflets…
- Whatever your interest, there is something in the Peak District for you. The rugged and dramatic Dark Peak lies to the north with its great expanses of heather moorland and…
- Wandering around some of our local Peak District towns and villages is a wonderful way to spend time. Foolow, Tissington, Hartington, Ilam and Ashford in the Water are great examples…
- If you're a thrill seeker with nerves of steel, don't miss Alton Towers. One of the UK's premier theme parks, Alton Towers has rides to make even the toughest among…
- It’s very easy to get to and from Candlelight Cottage on public transport. There are bus routes through the village linking it to Buxton, Chesterfield and Sheffield, where there are…