The Peak District is littered with amazing places to buy food and drink, or to indulge in eating out:
Bakewell – last Saturday of the month from 9 am to 2 pm
Buxton – every Thursday from 9 am to 2 pm
Castleton – 1st Sunday of the month from 10 am to 3 pm
Chesterfield – 2nd Thursday of every month 10am – 4pm
Derby – 3rd Thursday of every month 9am – 3pm
Leek – 3rd Saturday of the month from 9 am to 2 pm
Farmers markets take place all year round in many of the local towns – Bakewell, Buxton and Castleton being the closest.
Delicious local products made in Tideswell and Bakewell go into the Candlelight Cottage welcome pack. Now you can even do all your shopping online before you come and get fresh local produce delivered to the cottage during your stay, thanks to two great new businesses called Shop in Tideswell and Sauced Here – it’s a fantastic opportunity to support local businesses, sample local specialities and spend your holiday having fun rather than trailing round supermarkets.
Tideswell is just a 15 minute walk away from Litton and boasts an award winning deli, a delicious cake and sandwich shop, a butcher, green grocer and dairy shop. Many shops sell “Tideswell Made” branded products, so you can be sure that what you are buying is of a high quality and has been made in the village. But, don’t forget about Litton Village shop! As well as stocking all the basics, the shop sells local ice cream and wonderful homemade cakes.
Gourmet Express, a local company will also make to order and deliver gourmet quality ready meals to the cottage.
Whilst you are in the area, try some of our local specialities such as Bakewell Pudding, Derbyshire Oatcakes, Buxton Blue and Dovedale Blue cheeses, Ashbourne Gingerbread, Thar cakes and Wakes biscuits. In addition there are many excellent quality farm shops and specialist food suppliers in the area – full details of these are available in the cottage.
Food with the environment in mind
Experience the real taste of the Peak District! Buy from local producers who take care of the environment. Enjoy seasonal flavours at fine dining restaurants and discover local recipes at ice cream parlours and tea rooms. From butchers, bakers and caterers to farm gate sales – all the listed local food businesses make a special contribution to the Peak District environment.
Here you will be spoilt for choice! Many of our local pubs are featured in the Good Pub Guide and we have a number of excellent restaurants close to Litton.
The Red Lion Pub in Litton is a short stroll away from the cottage and many of our guests eat there several times during their stay, commenting on the warm and friendly atmosphere, the quality of the food and beer, and in winter, the joy of sitting by a log fire on a cold evening.
We provide a full list of recommended pubs and restaurants in the cottage information pack.
- Whatever your interest, there is something in the Peak District for you. The rugged and dramatic Dark Peak lies to the north with its great expanses of heather moorland and…
- Litton can certainly be described as one of the most attractive villages in the Peak District with many late 17th and early 18th century houses, full of charm and character…
- Candlelight Cottage is “Investing in the environment and actively promoting the products, attractions and traditions of the Peak District”. Formally a village shop and before that, two separate cottages, Candlelight…
- It’s very easy to get to and from Candlelight Cottage on public transport. There are bus routes through the village linking it to Buxton, Chesterfield and Sheffield, where there are…
- The Wills family project: Candlelight Cottage Before we bought Candlelight Cottage, we spent many hours thinking about what we would want to find in a self catering holiday cottage ourselves…