Wandering around some of our local Peak District towns and villages is a wonderful way to spend time.
Tideswell, just a mile away from Litton is home to the 14th century church known as ‘The Cathedral of the Peak’ and also to Tindalls of Tideswell, the award winning delicatessen where some of the ‘goodies’ in our welcome basket are sourced.
The nearby village of Eyam is known as the “plague village”. In 1665, the plague (Black Death) was brought here in a flea ridden bundle of cloth, delivered to the village tailor from London. Under the leadership of Reverend Mompesson, the village bravely quarantined itself. Many of its inhabitants suffered a dreadful death, but their sacrifice prevented the spread of plague across the Peak District.
Bakewell with its stone cottages, hidden courtyards and interesting boutique shops, enjoys a fabulous setting on the River Wye.
Buxton, famous for its restorative waters, stately architecture and Edwardian opera house has a more sedate feel. Especially beautiful are the Pavilion Gardens, complete with bandstand and plant filled conservatories.
The Georgian town of Ashbourne, home of the gingerbread man, has an abundance of antique shops and an ancient cobbled marketplace.
- Ashbourne – Thursday and Saturday
- Bakewell – Monday (including livestock market)
- Buxton – Tuesday and Saturday
- Leek – Tuesday (livestock only), Wednesday, Friday (indoor only) and Saturday
- Matlock – Tuesday & Friday
- There are countless visitor attractions in the area - Derbyshire and the Peak District; far too many to mention here. At Candlelight Cottage we provide organised folders full of leaflets…
- If you're a thrill seeker with nerves of steel, don't miss Alton Towers. One of the UK's premier theme parks, Alton Towers has rides to make even the toughest among…
- We're proud that Candlelight Cottage has been awarded 5 stars by Visit England for many years! It's the perfect Peak District base: A quiet location in the picturesque village of…
- Candlelight Cottage is situated in the picturesque Peak District village of Litton. The area is rich with history and culture. Map The Peak District is very accessible from all directions.…
- It’s very easy to get to and from Candlelight Cottage on public transport. There are bus routes through the village linking it to Buxton, Chesterfield and Sheffield, where there are…