There is a lot going on in the Peak District in the run up to Christmas. Local towns host Christmas markets and there are plenty of specialist shops in Bakewell, Ashbourne and Buxton in which to track down unusual presents. The Christmas decorations at Chatsworth House are amazing and afterwards you can soak up the festive spirit whilst sipping mulled wine and listening to brass bands and carol singers. You can also go carol singing yourself down one of the caves in Castleton.
Litton at Christmas has a sleepy charm of its own. The village Christmas tree is positioned just opposite Candlelight Cottage and on Christmas Eve, everyone gathers to sing carols around it.
Candlelight Cottage is decorated for Christmas from the beginning of December and short breaks are available until Christmas week. Often guests come in December to celebrate Christmas early; others come over Christmas to get away from it all.
There is no better feeling than returning from a walk to the wonderful warmth of the Candlelight Cottage AGA or curling up in front of the fire with a glass of mulled wine and warm mince pies. Come and see for yourself!
Around and about you’ll find:
- Christmas at Chatsworth House
- Castleton Christmas Lights
- Carol singing in the caves in Castleton – Treak Cliff Cavern and Peak Cavern
- Pantomime and carol concerts in one of the surrounding cities or towns theatres – Sheffield, Buxton and Chesterfield
- Santa specials at Crich Tramway Village or Peak Rail, Matlock
- Christmas markets in Matlock, Castleton, Chesterfield, Sheffield and Bakewell.
- If when you stay with us, you’d like to take the “self” out of self catering your Christmas dinner, try the excellent service from Gourmet Express!
There is of course lots, lots more going on … … if you’re thinking of coming for Christmas, we can advise you about local events – please Contact us.
Then of course there’s New Year’s Eve!!